The History of Whoo – Gongjinhyang Gun line
The History of Whoo’s Gongjinhyang Gun (공진향:군) is a skincare line created to awaken men’s skin and leave it soft on the outside and strong on the inside.
Disclaimer: I personally translated the majority of facts and contents in this article from original Korean sources, so I kindly ask you to credit my work if you’re planning to use any of the information included in this guide.
Many concepts mentioned in this guide are based on Oriental Medicine principles, for a better understanding please refer to the introduction to Traditional Korean Medicine on this website. It’s important to stress out that there is no correspondence between Oriental Medicine organs and Western anatomy so capitalised names in this article shouldn’t be interpreted in the Western medical sense.
⬥ Recommended for
- Men in their late 20s and 30s
- First signs of aging
- Oily and combination skin
- Rough and uneven texture
- Blackheads and imperfections
- Loss of elasticity
- Weakened skin
- Dull and tired-looking complexion
Gongjinhyang Gun is a reinvigorating skincare line designed to awaken and strengthen men’s skin from the inside.
All products in the line contain Gongjinbidan (공진비단, 供辰秘丹), The History of Whoo’s signature rejuvanating ingredient, along with an immunity boosting herbal complex called Yongan Bulrodan (용안불로단, 君之颜精萃) and antioxidant powerhouse Green Tea.
⬥ Gongjinbidan (공진비단, 供辰秘丹)
All products from The History of Whoo incorporate Gongjinbidan (공진비단, 供辰秘丹) a proprietary herbal complex that constitutes the core ingredient of the brand.
Gongjinbidan is based on Gongjindan (공진단, 拱辰丹), a traditional Oriental medicine prescription originally created by Chinese physician Wei Yilin. According to the classical text or Oriental Medicine “Efficacious Remedies of the Physicians” (세의득효방, 世醫得效方), Gongjindan was a remedy exclusively reserved for emperors and for this reason, it earned the name of “Emperor’s Medicine”1.
Gongjindan appears in many traditional medical texts from China and Korea and it’s described as a remedy that strengthen the body’s immune defenses and brings back the natural balance between its organs.
The Donguibogam (the most representative text of Traditional Korean Medicine) describes the Gongjindan as follows:
If a man is sickly even after growing up, he is constitutionally weak. In such a case, body fluids should be increased but body heat should be cooled down. Other medicines are inefficacious against it, but this medicine is effective to harmonize internal organs with each other and to prevent various diseases.
To this day, Gongjindan is a vital tonic that is still commonly used in many Asian countries to combat chronic fatigue, weak constitution and deteriorated immunity.
Through the integration of modern dermatology, LG Household & Health Care developed a cosmetic ingredient based on the original prescription for Gongjindan: Gongjinbidan.
The Gongjinbidan Complex contains equal amounts of six precious herbal ingredients2, including:
- Deer Antler Extract, which is rich in collagen and amino acids. It helps stimulate skin regeneration and rebalance skin. In Oriental Medicine the ingredient is commonly used to improve symptoms of aging because it helps tonify Qi and Blood. and, in turn, reinvigorate the body.
- Acanthopanax Root Bark to relieve irritation and revitalise skin.
- Angelica Gigas Nakai which is rich in Vitamin E and essential oils. It’s known to replenish Qi and nourish Blood, meaning it restores vital energy levels and promote a healthy circulation of nutrients and energy across the body.
- Asparagus Cochinchinensis to refine skin texture. It also helps brighten and even skin tone. It’s used to treat Yin Deficiency, which manifests as a generalised dryness across all vital organs and excess heat.
- Cornus Officinalis, a powerful anti-oxidant naturally rich in vitamin A which sports tonifying and astringent properties. [T/N In Oriental Medicine “astringent” ingredients have the function of rebalancing the mail vital substances that animate the human body: Essence, Body Fluids and Qi]
- Wild Thyme, which has anti-bacterial properties.
⬥ Yongan Bulrodan (용안불로단, 君之颜精萃)
Royal remedy that supplies nutrients to the skin and promotes health and longevity (자양양생, 滋養養生). The herbal complex enhances skin’s immunity and boosts skin’s natural metabolism, reducing imperfections and smoothing skin texture over time.
Yongan Bulrodan is composed of Zingiber Officinale + Jujube Fructus + Cnidium Officinale + Angelica Acutiloba + Glycyrrhiza Glabra.
⬥ Green Tea
Thanks to its outstanding antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, Green Tea helps relieve inflammation, regulate excess sebum production, protect skin from environmental aggressors and reduce breakouts.
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Foam Cleanser
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Nourishing Balancer For Men
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Nourishing Emulsion For Men
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Moisture Cream For Men
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Eye Cream For Men
Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Sun For Men SPF50+/PA++++
⬥ Recommended order of use
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Foam Cleanser
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Nourishing Balancer For Men
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Nourishing Emulsion For Men
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Eye Cream For Men
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Moisture Cream For Men
- Gongjinhyang Gun Ja Young Sun For Men SPF50+/PA++++
⬥ International Retailers
⬥ Korean Retailers
Sources: LG Household & Health Care (unless otherwise stated)
Translation: © 2022 Odile Monod
Disclaimer: The list above contains a combination of affiliate and non-affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I will earn a small commission (paid by third party companies, not you). Commissions help fund the content production of the Monodist. For more information on my affiliate policy please refer to my About page. Some links are missing because the item is not available outside of Korea at the moment.